The human body is a marvel of creation. It has gone through a lot of permutations and combinations, to go from our distant arboreal ancestors, the Pierolapithecus, to the top dominant species on the planet. The time it has taken was not much at all if you look at it from the planet’s perspective.
Civilization and more importantly dawned the light of man’s mind. And the quest has since been on; how does he get to know more and more about his own existence and of the world around him?
The quest is still ongoing, and our long-dead Pierolapithecine ancestors chuckle every time NASA discovers a new planet.
This article will not, however, be about all that. It will be about twenty unbelievable facts that you probably didn’t know.
1. People notice shoes earlier than they would like to admit. Next time you have an interview with an ace, make sure you wear your best shoes along with your best suit. It might just make the difference. Same logic for a date too.
2. A sedentary lifestyle is not nearly as harmless as you think. Corporate employees spend long times of their day sitting in one spot, without much walking or working out. Well, guess what, there is a 50% chance of you dying in the next three years.
3. Out of the six doppelgangers out there, you might meet one in your lifetime. At least there is a 9% chance.
4. Napping without a pillow reduces back pain and keeps your backbone stronger.
5. A person’s height is determined by their father, and their weight is determined by their mother. The father’s chromosome also determines sex.
6. If a part of your body “falls asleep”, you need to stimulate your brain by shaking your head.
7. There are three things the human brain cannot resist noticing – Food, attractive people and danger.
8. Right-handed people are also normally right-mouthed – they chew with their right teeth more.
9. Dry tea leaves are wonderful for soaking up B.O. from your socks, shoes or gym vests.
Intrigued, are you? Keep reading!
10. According to Albert Einstein, if honey bees were to disappear from the earth, humans would be dead by four years. So, take your gardens seriously; plant flowers.
11. Apples are so diverse that it would take 20 years to try every kind of apple, one apple a day.
12. It turns out you can survive without sleeping for only 11 days; way less than the time taken to die of starvation.
13. People who laugh a lot are healthier than those who don’t.
14. Smoking kills just as many people as laziness and inactivity.
15. A human brain has a capacity to store five times as much information as Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. That is about four terabytes of information.
16. Our brain uses the same amount of power as a 10-watt light bulb.
17. Our body gives enough heat in 30 mins to boil 1.5 liters of water.
18. The Ovum or egg cell is the largest cell and the sperm is the smallest cell in the human body.
19. The concentrated hydrochloric acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades.
20. Smiling, even forced, produces an immediate dopamine rush; i.e. it makes you instantly happy.