Loneliness is an old friend a to most of us. We often get lonely after the end of a long relationship or when we spend hours working on solo projects. Surprisingly some people can feel lonely in a crowd of people. It’s rare but it can be the most crippling form of loneliness because the feeling prevails despite the number of individuals present.
If not checked properly or recognized for its benefits, this feeling can lead to depression, which is much more serious. If you aren’t mentally equipped to appreciate the benefits of being alone, you need to find ways of destroying the feeling. Thankfully, there are several ways you can do this.
1. Try singing. If you love listening to music, then let your favorite singer soothe your loneliness. If you sing along with them, you will feel your spirits rise and a renewed sense of well-being will fill your entire being. You might find yourself dancing around the room celebrating quality time with yourself. It’s fantastic!
2. Maybe you shouldn’t wait for others to contact you when you feel alone! Try reaching out to a neighbor or friend, offering help in a time of need. And it doesn’t have to be when they need help either. You can simply pay your neighbor a visit and let them know they are appreciated. Others are lonely too and may be waiting for someone to drop by and make their day. Think about it! You could be alleviating loneliness for you and another. What a treat!
3. If you are lonely or even down, try getting creative. You don’t have a be a painter or writer, per say, you just need a coloring book or puzzle. As you spend time being creative in this manner, your mind will gravitate to other activities that will break the cycle of your loneliness. It’s like a push to get you out of your funk. Try it!
4. When loneliness sits heavy upon your shoulders, you don’t have to pine for human interaction. Sometimes non-human companions or stimulus works just as well to lighten the mood. A pet is a perfect example of a non-human solution. Spending time with your dog, going for a walk or just hanging out in front of the television will make you feel calm and loved. Pets provide a genuine love that can lift even the darkest of moods. You can even cuddle with your pet if that’s something you like. Watching television, reading a book and sitting outside in nature are all ways to enjoy non-human influence as well. Try one solution or try them all. Something will work for you. I am sure of it.
5. Something you should never do, however, is put a blame on yourself for being alone. In fact, being alone is a good thing, it can help you get to know yourself. If you get to know yourself-what you like and what you don’t, you can be a better friend and companion to others. Spend your alone time learning who you are and appreciating your unique qualities. Put a stop to any negative or degrading ideas about who you are.
Loneliness can be a friend to us. It doesn’t have to be a place of morbid solitude in which we feel we must escape at all costs. However, if you need to escape being alone for a while, try these tips. There are also many other ways to spice up your life and environment. The holidays are fast approaching as well, which can mean vast opportunities to end the lull. All you need is a healthy balance of interaction and being alone.