If you are walking down the streets of Redwood City, don’t get too scared if you find a mailbox trying to gulp you down! Yes, you might turn out to be in a strange place – something is taken out of a children’s book page, but it’s very real. Observe closely – you will see that the mailbox trying to chase you is just a shadow – that too, a fake one. The fake shadows are painted in a strange way just to scare people.
All this is the task of famous street artist Damon Belanger. He was commissioned to make twenty fake shadows across the downtown area of Redwood City. The terms and conditions of the commission are not revealed but Damon let his creativity decide what he would do. And the product is some marvelous pieces of horror, Goosebumps-inspired paintings that will make your spine tingle if you don’t know the back story.
Look at the wonderful fake shadows that Damon has created:
1. Looks like a dog has metamorphosized from that dull bench.
2. This is something that could really haunt you for the rest of your life. Imagine the mail-box becoming alive and have such pointed teeth!
3. Well, the stands look quite dull in general. Replacing them with smiling flowers is definitely something great!
4. It might be a different angle but look at how the flowers seem to bloom when the light falls on them in a different way. Truly a masterpiece.
5. Here’s the artist himself – making sure everything is perfect.
6. The monkey is really thinking hard – what should it pay to that box?
7. Finally, the monkey must have realized something. Now, it looks happy with the glimmer of realization glowing on his face.
8. This might seem funny or horrifying. The smiling face does look full of optimism but what’s that?
9. You can also have a little bit of fun with the trellis now, can’t you?
10. Is that a cycle or is there a beast hiding inside it?
11. Looks like as the cycle moves away, the beast is all set to follow it.
12. This time, the stands look to be occupied by some strange creature – ants or aliens?
13. Now, you can see them better – standing on the pedestal, they might be giving a grand performance.
14. A snake seems to be emerging from the harmless piece of artifact. You can never be too careful.
15. The metal fence seems to have cars running on them. Need a better look, don’t we?
16. Yep – they are cars all right. Almost like the cartoons coming alive – hanging in the balance.
17. It looks like a maze coming out of the fire hydrant!
18. Who knew that one day the harmless lamppost will become a fire-breathing dragon?
19. Looks like the dragon coming out of this lamppost is a lot tamer, thank God!
20. Work in Progress – Don’t worry, it will be ready to scare you within a few days!
Well, the artist surely does some mind-blowing crazy work. Let’s hope now you don’t trip once you see these odd shadows in your neighborhood.