Left-handed folks are believed to be a miracle of the Universe. Forming 10% of the population, the reason behind this occurrence is not yet discovered. Some say that it is passed on by genes or one’s surroundings have some role to play in it.
Researchers have found that brains function differently in right-handed and left-handed people. That is why apparently left-handers, made to face the right-handed world, are more flexible and adaptive.
Check out these 24 cool facts about left-handers
1. Apparently 12% of the population of the world is left-handed.
2. Originating from the Anglo-Saxon word “lyft“, “left” signifies weak or broken.
3. Right part of the brain is dominant in left-handers.
4. Left-handers excel in sports like tennis, baseball, swimming etc.
5. Among the famous tennis players, 40% are left-handers.
6. Left-handers have better vision underwater compared to the right-handers.
7. Left-handers are 3% more at risk to getting alcohol addiction.
8. Research says left-handers have more chance of being rich after college.
9. Left-handers undergo puberty five months later than right-handers.
10. Left-handedness is seen in animals as well.
11. 13.1% in US show left-handedness.
12. Sweater, Dresses, tesserae decades are few of the longest words that can be written with left hand.
13. Earlier left-handedness was linked with crime, homosexuality and neurosis. It was also linked with creativity and musicality.
14. Left-handers suffer from insomnia more than right-handers.
15. At present, statistics shows more than 30 million left-handers in the US.
16. Women who give birth in their 40s show more possibility of having a left-handed child.
17. August 13th celebrates International Left-Hander’s Day.
18. Left-handers handle emotions differently than right-handers.
19. Left-handers show skill in Architecture, Spatial awareness and Mathematics.
20. Left-handers can quickly learn to use their right hand if they injure their left one.
21. Asthma and allergies are seen more in left-handed people.
22. Left-handedness is passed on by genes. Prince William, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mother, and Prince Charles are/were left-handed.
23. One of the four Apollo astronauts was left-handed.
24. Many infamous murderers and criminals are left-handed like, Osama bin Laden, Boston Stranglers and Jack the Ripper.